Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Church Secretary Club - The social networking community for today's church secretary!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Easy Appetizer  (Read 3202 times)
jiff34
Elite Member

Blessings: 136

I'll never tell...

« on: November 04, 2016, 04:43:31 PM »

Bacon covered water chestnuts are my favorite appetizer and you can make them however you like.  I usually cut the bacon slices in half so they cook faster. Wrap each whole chestnut with bacon and bake in a 400 degree oven until the bacon is crispy.  Don't stir them around or the bacon will come undone.  Just turn them once and give them a few min longer to be sure it is evenly cooked. 
As far as a glaze, I use honey & soy sauce.  I have no exact measurements, b/c I just cook and taste until I like the way it turns out, so taste your sauce before you coat the chestnuts.  Now, I put the glaze on when I turn them b/c you don't want the glaze to cook long b/c it will burn. You just want to get it hot and a little sticky.  You can also add ginger & garlic or whatever else you want.  A little rice wine vinegar is also a good addition.  These are great for Thanksgiving or Christmas parties. 

God is bigger than your prayer chain, and I am not your mother.

Author Topic: Easy Appetizer(Read 3202 times)
Kay
Elite Member

Blessings: 182

Oh, hi!

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 05:05:02 PM »

These are great for Thanksgiving or Christmas parties. 

Or Snackbatticals.

"I can lead a ZEBRA to the church publications, but I can't make him read." -- me

jiff34
Elite Member

I'll never tell...

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 05:11:15 PM »

Or Snackbatticals.
WORD.

churchimm
Elite Member

Blessings: 167

A polar bear giraffe combo!!

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 05:56:15 PM »

This is on my printer now!!  YUM!!!!!  (how can anything with bacon not be good???)
Karen V
Baltimore, Maryland

"This is the day the Lord has made.  We will rejoice and be glad in  it."    ptl    ptl

Diney
Elite Member

Blessings: 79

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 04:37:48 PM »

oh yes thanks for the instructions, have never made them but have wanted to. Think they will be on the list for Christmas Eve!
Nadine
Diney

jiff34
Elite Member

I'll never tell...

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 05:58:20 PM »

I'm gonna make some this weekend for our "pounding party" at church to welcome our new pastor.  I'm gonna cook the bacon on the chestnuts until crispy and then I'm going to put it all in the crock pot and pour a jar of teriyaki stir fry sauce on them.  Our party is directly after church, so during church, they'll get all gooey and yummy.  I'm practicing it the day before for a family gathering, just in case that is too gooey.  LOL.  I got a really good deal on bacon a while back, so my freezer has about 5 lbs waiting to be used.   blush

Diney
Elite Member

Blessings: 79

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 09:16:14 PM »

I'm gonna make some this weekend for our "pounding party" at church to welcome our new pastor.  I'm gonna cook the bacon on the chestnuts until crispy and then I'm going to put it all in the crock pot and pour a jar of teriyaki stir fry sauce on them.  Our party is directly after church, so during church, they'll get all gooey and yummy.  I'm practicing it the day before for a family gathering, just in case that is too gooey.  LOL.  I got a really good deal on bacon a while back, so my freezer has about 5 lbs waiting to be used.   blush

Can I be family!?

We have a bunch of bacon in our freezer too!
Nadine
Diney

jiff34
Elite Member

I'll never tell...

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 03:46:00 PM »

Can I be family!?

We have a bunch of bacon in our freezer too!
Nadine
You are totally fam! 

churchimm
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 02:02:16 PM »

Jiff - how did these turn out in the crock pot?  I want to make these for Christmas for my son, who is lactose intolerant and can't eat a lot of the dips I'm making.  Do you think it will work if you make them the day before, and then put them in the crock pot with the sauce on the day you're serving them?  I'm trying not to do much cooking on Christmas Day because we may have a weird schedule of people coming and going.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 02:19:50 PM by churchimm » Logged
Karen V
Baltimore, Maryland

"This is the day the Lord has made.  We will rejoice and be glad in  it."    ptl    ptl

jiff34
Elite Member

I'll never tell...

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 03:22:05 PM »

I thought they were good.  We had some left over and even reheated in the microwave.  The bacon doesn't stay crispy when reheated, but it isn't soggy either.  It's just good.  They were a huge hit at the party...I just made a ton.  Which is not a bad thing.

churchimm
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 04:59:16 PM »

Thanks Jiff!! Definitely going to try these.  My DH will get mad - he always says I make too much food.     Glad I'm going to the grocery store this evening straight from work lol!   :p
Karen V
Baltimore, Maryland

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: