Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Church Secretary Club - The social networking community for today's church secretary!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Overnight oats  (Read 3506 times)
churchimm
Elite Member

Blessings: 167

A polar bear giraffe combo!!

« on: March 23, 2017, 02:02:35 PM »

I hope this hasn't been posted before - I couldn't find it anywhere.  I've seen recipes for overnight oats and was never sure how cold, uncooked oatmeal could be good.  Several women here at work make them so I tried it the other night.  It was delicious!!!  I've seen different ratios - everything from one part oats to one part or two parts of liquid.  The first night I used 1/2 cup oats and 3/4 cups milk and it was a little too much liquid for my liking.  I did 1/2 and 1/2 last night.  I added a little honey, cinnamon and blueberries and this morning put some walnuts on top (I used a mason jar).  The variations are endless.  You can use milk, almond milk, water or yogurt for the liquid.  The old-fashioned oats are best (not quick-cook, or steel cut).  You can add cocoa powder, peanut butter, fruit, nuts - whatever you like.  It's best to add crunchy stuff in the morning so it won't get soggy.  You can eat it cold or heated.  I loved mine cold.  I'm so excited to find a way to add oatmeal to my diet, since it's good for cholesterol and diabetes!
Karen V
Baltimore, Maryland

"This is the day the Lord has made.  We will rejoice and be glad in  it."    ptl    ptl

Author Topic: Overnight oats(Read 3506 times)
HZlove
Elite Member

Blessings: 229

PS 62:5b ...my expectation is from him.

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 03:34:47 PM »

I love these! I like to make mine with Kefir for the added benefits. I also add fruit...but I found out that I have to add the fruit in the morning or the 2nd ferment of the kefir is a bit to tangy for my taste.
HZlove
---
Psalm 26:8 Trust in Him at all times, you people; Pour out your heart before Him;
God is a refuge for us. Selah

clstan

Blessings: 40

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 04:58:34 PM »

I love these too! I prefer steel cut oats, but rolled oats are good too. I use equal parts of oats, milk, and greek yogurt with fruit. I also add nuts in the morning. I've made apple cinnamon, berry, pumpkin spice, coconut, I've even used lemon curd to flavor it, that was really good!

MaureenS
Elite Member

Blessings: 168

Me & my baby, Rosa

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 09:58:12 PM »

This sounds awesome! I've never tried it.
"When we're together, even the coldest day feels warm."

Ann

Blessings: 74

Author of Alaska Gardening Guide.

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 05:27:27 PM »

I feel like I am missing half of the recipe. You mix half and half and then what?
Ann
Alaska

clstan

Blessings: 40

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 09:02:05 PM »

Here is the formula I use:
1/3 c. steel cut oats (you could use quick or rolled if you want it less chewy)
1/3 c. milk
1/3 c. greek yogurt
1 t. chia seeds (optional, helps absorb extra liquid)
1 t. ground flax seed (optional)
chopped fruit and/or spices or nut butter
I dump the oats and seeds in a small jar, shake them up, then dump in the milk, yogurt and fruit, screw on a tight lid and shake it until everything is coated and well mixed. Stick it in the refrigerator overnight or for a couple days. That's it! It's good cold, but can be heated. Top with some chopped nuts if you'd like.

Ann

Blessings: 74

Author of Alaska Gardening Guide.

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 03:16:51 PM »

Thanks, clstan!
Ann
Alaska
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: