Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Church Secretary Club - The social networking community for today's church secretary!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resigning as church secretary  (Read 2875 times)
Cynthia

Blessings: 15

« on: May 05, 2017, 07:50:35 PM »

Hi, I need to leave my job in a church office, but it is such a different scene from regular business offices. First of all, I don't know who to direct the letter to because the pastor is an interim. Also, should I give anyone a head's up that I'm leaving? I already have an interview set up for next week, and I don't know the time frame of when they'll need me, or even if I'll get that job. The job I have now is 30 hours, and it's a lot of work. So I need to think about how much time I need to train the next person, whenever that will be. I just feel a combination of guilt and panic right now. Anyone have any pointers?   unsure

Cynthia
In His Service,

Cynthia

Author Topic: Resigning as church secretary(Read 2875 times)
llaux

Blessings: 78

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 08:36:54 PM »

First, do what you need to do to take care of yourself and your family.  It may be a church but it's a job and if you need it to pay your bills don't tell anyone until you are sure of your new job. 

Do you have any type of employment agreement that states what kinds of notice you need to give them?  I don't have one but everyone that started a couple of years after me had one that said they had to give a month's notice.  I think that you are going to have to do what you need to do to please your new employer.

I report to the pastor.  When we had an interim, I reported to the interim pastor.  So for me the chain of command has always been clear and that's where my resignation will go.  Each church has their own governance so you'll have to work that out.

Why do you feel guilty?  If you have done your job as you should, there's nothing to feel guilty about.  I understand panic.  It comes with change.  Deep breathing and prayer for that.

As far as training the next person, it's great if you can but it's not your responsibility.  It is the new secretary's supervisor who is responsible for that.  My two cents is that you need to take care of your future and not let the past negatively impact it.  Do you have an office procedures manual?  If they can't get someone hired before you need to start your new job, that's what that book is for.

Best wishes in your job search. 

Brenda
Elite Member

Blessings: 151

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 05:58:31 PM »

LLAUX gave great advice.  Especially the part about NOT tendering a resignation until you are sure you have another job.  Unless, of course, you can afford to be unemployed while you job search.  Then I would say give at least two weeks notice.  That seems to be the standard.

I do report directly to the pastor, but indirectly to the church council/board whatever you'd like to call it.  I would inform the pastor, face to face, and let him know that I will be submitting a letter of resignation to the board.  Then I would type it up, sign it, scan it and email it to the board. 

As far as guilt...I can understand that, but again, it's a job.  If it's not meeting your needs either financially or emotionally, then you have every right to change jobs without feeling guilty. 

Also very much agree that it isn't your responsibility to train the new person.  It's nice if you CAN, but not your responsibility.

I too wish you best of luck in your job search!
Brenda
Bloomfield, IN

Brenda
Elite Member

Blessings: 151

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 06:02:53 PM »

Oh....I forgot to add.....

When we had an interim pastor, he was only here a couple hours a week and I rarely saw him.  If I had needed to resign during that time I would have called the Moderator (or whoever is "in charge" of your governing council) and told him/her then email the resignation letter to the rest of the committee as usual.
Brenda
Bloomfield, IN

Ann

Blessings: 73

Author of Alaska Gardening Guide.

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 10:26:47 PM »

Of course it all depends on the type of church it is (governing structure). Mine is S. Baptist, so if we had an interim, I would send the letter to him, but copy the Deacons, or at least the chair of deacons.

When the deacons fired the previous secretary, they refused to let her train me. So the new pastor, hired the same month I was, and I, just muddled along and learned by doing.
Ann
Alaska

CS58

Blessings: 47

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 06:51:39 PM »

When the deacons fired the previous secretary, they refused to let her train me. So the new pastor, hired the same month I was, and I, just muddled along and learned by doing.

In my case she quit suddenly and I started working here a week later.  They also didn't want her to train me on anything.  I had to call the database company to get a password to override hers.  Luckily the principal knew how to work the computer program that I use for my bulletins and newsletters, so he showed me a few things.

I held no grudges against her . . . so you shouldn't feel guilty at all.
My job is to take care of the possible and trust God with the impossible . . .

Cathy S

churchimm
Elite Member

Blessings: 167

A polar bear giraffe combo!!

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 07:40:08 PM »

I agree with what's already been said here about who to direct your letter of resignation to, and also to wait until you know you have another job.  As far as guilt, I totally understand because I also felt guilty resigning - but as others have said, there really is nothing to feel guilty about.  My SP just didn't seem very supportive of me leaving, even though I felt God was leading me to.  If you've prayed about it and feel this is what God wants you to do, that should be enough.  I'm a "people pleaser" and I guess most of us on here are and that's not always a good thing.  I trained my replacement in the evenings for a few weeks.  It was rough because I had already started my new job, which is already stressful enough!  I also continued doing the essentials before she even came on board (bulletin, bank deposit, bills/payroll, etc).  I didn't mind because I'm a member there also so I wanted the transition to be smooth, but I was tired!!  Luckily she was a fast learner so it didn't take long and I tried to put together some notes and lists before I left.  Anything you can do before you leave to help the new person will ultimately help you, so you don't get calls, emails, etc asking questions.  Good luck in your new job - I hope you hear some good news.  You sound ready to move on so enjoy the new opportunities.  Sometimes God leaves us in a place for a long time, and sometimes He moves us around!!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 12:22:47 PM by churchimm » Logged
Karen V
Baltimore, Maryland

"This is the day the Lord has made.  We will rejoice and be glad in  it."    ptl    ptl

Stotheara
Administrator

Blessings: 188

aka "Stothie"

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 09:57:10 PM »

Everyone has given great advise. 

I understand the guilt.  That can be present when resigning from any job.  I felt terribly guilty when I left my small church job for a larger church, but they've managed fine (I still check up on them from time to time). 

I didn't say anything until I secured a job, and then I gave my notice.  It wasn't a huge shock since there were concerns over how many hours I would get the next year, and everyone wished me well.  Nobody came in after me, so there was nobody to train, really.  I handed over passwords and any other information I had, and that was about it.  I think the hardest part was telling people, and then I'm very sentimental, so that played into things.  It was kind of a relief, though, to give some things over to other people.

Hope your transition goes well, and if you don't get this job, you'er able to find something that suits you.

Philippians 4:8 Whatsoever things are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: