Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Church Secretary Club - The social networking community for today's church secretary!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice Needed!?!?!  (Read 5733 times)
RoseRed87
Temp

Blessings: 1

« on: October 12, 2011, 06:53:46 PM »

My church is in a time of transition..We have been burned..After months of searching the Interim Search Committee has found a possible candidate for the position of Intentional Interim Senior Minister..We now have a contract that covers almost all of our bases..There is one staff member in particular that is uncomfortable with the selection..After reviewing the resume that was sent to us from the candidate at last nights board meeting, the staff member had their spouse another paid staff member look up the candidate's certifications, special training and professional qualifications on the internet..The person feels very uncomfortable about the candidate and that the qualifications and experience listed are in a word not "ligit" or real..The last pastor that left did not even have a bachelor's degree..What I am asking is what do I do about it?..Do I take it to the Elders or do I let it go?..The only problem is that since the board approved the candidate last night, that means that the congregation on Sunday will vote to decide if the candidate will be called to serve..Advice and other stuff are greatly appreciated and encouraged..

Author Topic: Advice Needed!?!?!(Read 5733 times)
Ann

Blessings: 74

Author of Alaska Gardening Guide.

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 07:44:09 PM »

Since I do not know how your church is organized or how they call pastors, I am not sure you should pay any attention to me. But if it were me, I would go to the elders - BEFORE the vote. Failing that, I would encourage the ones uncomfortable with the candidate to speak up at the meeting, before the vote.
Ann
Alaska

Kay
Elite Member

Blessings: 182

Oh, hi!

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 08:21:13 PM »

There is one staff member in particular that is uncomfortable with the selection..After reviewing the resume that was sent to us from the candidate at last nights board meeting, the staff member had their spouse another paid staff member look up the candidate's certifications, special training and professional qualifications on the internet..The person feels very uncomfortable about the candidate and that the qualifications and experience listed are in a word not "ligit" or real..  *snip*  What I am asking is what do I do about it

I'm not sure that you, personally, should do anything about it.  Anything that you would tell someone would be hearsay.  In my opinion, the people who should do something about it are the staff member and spouse who did the research.

"I can lead a ZEBRA to the church publications, but I can't make him read." -- me

RoseRed87
Temp

Blessings: 1

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 08:50:55 PM »

I work at a Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)..Thank you for your input..It is valued and appreciated imensly..The entire staff was given the floor last night to give their say..All the staff member said was that I feel uncomfortable..the person was asked why..in reply they said I don't know why I am but I just am..And the youth minister was given her say..3 times she was asked..she never said a word..now she is coming to me and talking about it..I was the only one that used the time to speak up last night..

Mary
Elite Member

Blessings: 148

I am my Beloved's & He is mine.

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 01:09:07 AM »

They should have spoken up.  Or, if they didn't know, they should speak up now.  Personally, I don't care about having a bachelor's degree.  The thing that bothers me is the lying about it.  That is a warning signal - if the information is true.
Mary
I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him will I trust."  Ps. 91:2

Stotheara
Administrator

Blessings: 188

aka "Stothie"

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 03:02:39 PM »

I would encourage this person to come forward to the rest of the committee. Why, when given the opportunity to speak up, would they not say something? - And then come back to you again to talk about it? If it is just gossip and blown out of proportion, then the talk needs to stop (from this person). If it is a legitimate concern, then they have the responsibility to speak to the group as a whole.

Best wishes to you. Sounds like you're caught in the middle.

Philippians 4:8 Whatsoever things are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Kay
Elite Member

Blessings: 182

Oh, hi!

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 04:16:08 PM »

I would encourage this person to come forward to the rest of the committee. Why, when given the opportunity to speak up, would they not say something? - And then come back to you again to talk about it? If it is just gossip and blown out of proportion, then the talk needs to stop (from this person). If it is a legitimate concern, then they have the responsibility to speak to the group as a whole.

Good Post

"I can lead a ZEBRA to the church publications, but I can't make him read." -- me

churchimm
Elite Member

Blessings: 167

A polar bear giraffe combo!!

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 04:55:47 PM »

I agree also.  I get that here sometimes.  A few people who came to our "Night In Bethlehem" meeting on Monday were opposed, never spoke up and were complaining to me again last night.  I try to stay out of the middle of things and especially am careful not to offer my opinion in any way.  I would let the people who did the "research" bring it up.
Karen V
Baltimore, Maryland

"This is the day the Lord has made.  We will rejoice and be glad in  it."    ptl    ptl

Calendar Queen
Temp

Blessings: 0

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 07:26:33 PM »

You should be doing Official Background Checks on ANYONE that works for you, and more importantly - those who volunteer - it is not that expensive and you can find out about their backgrounds - the more you ask to know, the more you may have to spend - but it is worth is. We work with a company called "Lexis Nexis".
And then CALL ALL THE REFERENCES - and if you need to, call the schools - they want to know if someone is misusing their name, too! This is all standard "Human Resources" stuff. No one should feel "quilty" about doing it. Be straight forward - ask for his SSN and Birthday and let him know you will be doing a background check. That may solve your problem right there.
Good Luck!

madzmom
Temp

Blessings: 0

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 09:29:17 PM »

I agree with Calendar Queen, a background check is needed, my church found this out the hard way a few years ago. If there are discrepancies with his resume, how can he shepherd a congregation? Praying for your situation RoseRed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: