Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Church Secretary Club - The social networking community for today's church secretary!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flags in the Sanctuary ... yes or no??  (Read 6911 times)
kjw

Blessings: 11

« on: August 10, 2012, 06:04:53 PM »

I know this is quite a controversial topic.  We have had an ongoing debate (well actually more of a feud) going on for several years about whether or not the U.S. flag should be displayed in the sanctuary.  One side is adamant that it should be, there other side feels that they come to church to worship God, not the flag.
Anyone else encountered this in their church?

Author Topic: Flags in the Sanctuary ... yes or no??(Read 6911 times)
MoJo
Elite Member

Blessings: 153

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 07:10:01 PM »

We have the Canadian, our Provincial flag and Christian flag in our Sanctuary.  Have never heard any of our congregation say that don't want them there. 
>:o===Q<

SarahW

Blessings: 42

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 07:13:15 PM »

We have always had the us flag and our denomination flag in the front of church. 

We had a pastor several years ago that removed them for some sort of sermon point...not one person noticed they were gone.  I guess they kind of blend with the landscape 

churchimm
Elite Member

Blessings: 167

A polar bear giraffe combo!!

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 07:30:11 PM »

We keep ours in the sanctuary but I doubt if anyone would notice if it was gone.  We don't normally use them on Sunday morning, but we do have patriotic services on appropriate holidays.   I guess there have been times where the flag was part of our service - I think after 911 it was.  We sing "America The Beautiful", "God Bless America", etc.  The AWANA kids always say the pledge to the American flag and the AWANA flag (there is a pledge for that flag and I even remember it).  I've never heard that argument before - even though we have the flag in the sanctuary, it's not an object of worship in our service, or even a prominent part of the service.  I guess it depends on what you're doing WITH the flag during the service??
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 07:33:32 PM by churchimm » Logged
Karen V
Baltimore, Maryland

"This is the day the Lord has made.  We will rejoice and be glad in  it."    ptl    ptl

HZlove
Elite Member

Blessings: 229

PS 62:5b ...my expectation is from him.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 07:36:29 PM »

We have both in the Christian & American Flag on the platform in opposite corners. We also have displayed all the flags of the countries of the missionaries we support high on the wall. It is not a deal for our church. Some people use the flags as reminders to pray for our missionaries.
HZlove
---
Psalm 26:8 Trust in Him at all times, you people; Pour out your heart before Him;
God is a refuge for us. Selah

Bev

Blessings: 96

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 05:21:46 PM »

We have the Canadian Flag and the Christian Flag in our Sanctuary. I personally like them there and I have never heard anyone complain.

sandisuze

Blessings: 74

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »

we have the Christian Flag and the US Flag
Pastor says God and Country.  We say the Pledge of Allegiance during VBS.
So I think it's appropriate to have the US flag- it's not that we are worshipping it, it's honoring the Christian principles this country was founded on. and those principles need to be followed not just forgotten.

Kay
Elite Member

Blessings: 182

Oh, hi!

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 02:51:40 PM »

We have both in the Christian & American Flag on the platform in opposite corners.

Same here -- the flags represent our dual citizenship -- in the USA and Heaven.

"I can lead a ZEBRA to the church publications, but I can't make him read." -- me

rhonda walker

Blessings: 32

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 08:18:51 PM »

We have the USA flag and the Christian flag in our sanctuary.

Ann

Blessings: 74

Author of Alaska Gardening Guide.

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 09:25:22 PM »

We used to have the US flag in the sanctuary, but it got damaged long ago and has not been replaced. We put the Christian flag there during VBS for the pledges, and they must have borrowed an Amereican one that week too.

Members have never said anything pro or con about them, but there was a woman from a foreign country who was shocked that the US Flag was ever there. She said it would never happen in her country because they keep religion and government totally separate. I tried to explain, but she was very unconvinced - she did not even understand the concept of patriotism, because we were born into the country we lived in, we did not choose it, so how could anyone "boast" about how wonderful their country was?  It is a whole different mindset.
Ann
Alaska

MaureenS
Elite Member

Blessings: 168

Me & my baby, Rosa

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 04:14:44 PM »

Having grown up in the US and then moved to Canada as an adult, I understand some of what that immigrant woman was feeling. Patriotism isn't as rampant in any other country in the world the way it is in the U.S. I don't mean to be unkind, but American patriotism is viewed as arrogance by much (maybe even most?) of the world. We display the Canadian flag in the sanctuary for certain special events and I don't think anyone has a problem with that.
"When we're together, even the coldest day feels warm."

friendlyflower

Blessings: 23

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 10:01:07 PM »

We have had the American Flag & Christian Flag on our church stage for as long as I can remember (21yrs so far) & I don't think there has ever been a problem. Other churches I have visited, also display the flags on their stage as well. I agree with all the other ladies.

The only times that they were not there are during VBS & Christmas plays.
Lara K.

Nina

Blessings: 92

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 03:20:31 PM »

American and Christian flags in the sanctuary as long as I've been here - 30 yrs. No problem
Nina
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: