Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Church Secretary Club - The social networking community for today's church secretary!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canning Leftover soup  (Read 26315 times)
jiff34
Elite Member

Blessings: 136

I'll never tell...

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 06:01:40 PM »

Good to know.  What about potatoes?  I like potato soup and potatoes in my veg soup.  Potato soup doesn't freeze well, but veg soup freezes beautifully.
Potatoes are fine.  You will find information on how long to parboil them.  I heard you don't want to can anything dairy, though.  So probably just can the diced potatoes, onions and celery together for your soup base.  But this is just my first thought without looking it up.  I've used canned potatoes to make potato soup, so I would think it would be about the same thing. 
God is bigger than your prayer chain, and I am not your mother.

Author Topic: Canning Leftover soup(Read 26315 times)
Brenda
Elite Member

Blessings: 152

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 06:10:23 PM »

Potatoes are fine.  You will find information on how long to parboil them.  I heard you don't want to can anything dairy, though.  So probably just can the diced potatoes, onions and celery together for your soup base.  But this is just my first thought without looking it up.  I've used canned potatoes to make potato soup, so I would think it would be about the same thing. 

Corn starch isn't dairy is it?  (yes....my cooking ignorance is abundant!)  When I make potato soup I just boil the potatoes and onion in salted water just enough to cover the potatoes.  When they are finished cooking I thicken that water with corn starch.

My MIL uses evaporated milk and a stick of butter in hers!!  Of course, her's TASTES a lot better than mine too!
Brenda
Bloomfield, IN

jiff34
Elite Member

I'll never tell...

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 06:41:23 PM »

Corn starch isn't dairy is it?  (yes....my cooking ignorance is abundant!)  When I make potato soup I just boil the potatoes and onion in salted water just enough to cover the potatoes.  When they are finished cooking I thicken that water with corn starch.

My MIL uses evaporated milk and a stick of butter in hers!!  Of course, her's TASTES a lot better than mine too!
I would can it without the cornstarch and thicken it when I opened it.  Start with a small batch to see how it works out.  After the soup is cool, take the rings off so that if by some chance something goes wrong, the soup can escape the jar without any real excitement. 

jiff34
Elite Member

I'll never tell...

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 06:43:13 PM »

I just found this guideline on soups:
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/fch/sites/default/files/documents/sp_50-931_soups_2009.pdf

HZlove
Elite Member

Blessings: 229

PS 62:5b ...my expectation is from him.

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 09:35:59 PM »

Any thickeners (flour or cornstarch, etc) is not recommended as it does get mushy as well as has the potential for botulism. Same thing for grains (such as barley) and milk products. With milk the temp gets too high and curdles and it also causes the milk fat to separate and the fat content sits on top. Just do your meats, broth, veggies and spices...add the rest later. It doesn't take that long to add the rest.
HZlove
---
Psalm 26:8 Trust in Him at all times, you people; Pour out your heart before Him;
God is a refuge for us. Selah
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: