Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Church Secretary Club - The social networking community for today's church secretary!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheesy Amish Breakfast Casserole - NOT HEART HEALTHY  (Read 4059 times)
Mary
Elite Member

Blessings: 149

I am my Beloved's & He is mine.

« on: January 31, 2013, 03:21:50 PM »

1 pound sliced bacon
1 sweet onion, chopped
4 c. froz. shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
9 eggs, lightly beaten
2 c. shredded Cheddar cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
1 1/2 c. small curd cottage cheese
1 1/4 c. shredded Swiss cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 deg. F (175 deg. C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
2. Heat a large skillet over med.-high heat; cook & sitr bacon & onion until bacon is evenly browned, about 10 min. (I nuked my bacon in the microwave & then sauted the chopped onions in a little of the bacon grease - it keeps a lot of the grease out of the casserole. I set the bacon out to cool & then ran therolling pin over the bacon to crunch it up.  Oh, I did the bacon tilli t was crispy.)
3.  Transfer bacon & onion to a large bowl.  Stir in potatoes, eggs, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese & swiss cheese.  Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
4. Bake in preheated oven until the eggs are set & cheese is melted, 45-50 minutes.  Let stand 10 minutes before cutting & serving.

Servings per recipe:  12
Fat: 22.8 g
Calories:  314
Cholesterol: 207 mg
Sodium: 609 mg
Carbs: 12.1
Protein: 21.7 g
Mary
I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him will I trust."  Ps. 91:2

Author Topic: Cheesy Amish Breakfast Casserole - NOT HEART HEALTHY(Read 4059 times)
katlady

Blessings: 115

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 03:57:05 PM »

That sounds really good minus the cottage cheese...can't stand the stuff. Can I substitute with something else? I'd really like to try this.

Author Topic: Cheesy Amish Breakfast Casserole - NOT HEART HEALTHY(Read 4059 times)
jiff34
Elite Member

Blessings: 136

I'll never tell...

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 04:12:09 PM »

I make this every year for Christmas Breakfast.  Angie, you can sub ricotta for the cottage cheese.  I also add some Frank's red hot to mine.  Too good.  And nothing the Amish makes is heart healthy.  They work like dogs to make up for it though.

You can also prep this the night before and put it in a cold oven...turn to 350 and bake for 1 hour or until the center is firm.  This is why I make if for Christmas breakfast.  I put it in the oven while we open presents.  Not that opening presents takes an hour...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:21:54 PM by jiff34 » Logged
God is bigger than your prayer chain, and I am not your mother.

Stotheara
Administrator

Blessings: 188

aka "Stothie"

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 05:08:31 PM »

Oh no. Oh dear no. This looks just fantabulously yummy. Calorie punch, but everything in moderation, right?!  whistle

Philippians 4:8 Whatsoever things are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

HZlove
Elite Member

Blessings: 229

PS 62:5b ...my expectation is from him.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 05:09:42 PM »

That sounds really good minus the cottage cheese...can't stand the stuff. Can I substitute with something else? I'd really like to try this.

You should be able to you ricotta cheese or something similar.

Sounds absolutely wonderful.
HZlove
---
Psalm 26:8 Trust in Him at all times, you people; Pour out your heart before Him;
God is a refuge for us. Selah
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: