Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Church Secretary Club - The social networking community for today's church secretary!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do some of you get prepared for leadership meetings  (Read 4916 times)
standfast

Blessings: 14

Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

« on: September 26, 2013, 02:42:02 AM »

We are getting ready for our leadership meeting (planning all of our meetings within and outside of the church), for the next year. (oct. 2013--Oct. 2014)  I print off everything we have done in this past year.  Then make new calendars for everyone present.  Things are always changing on the calendar.  Sometimes I feel it is a lost cause.  There has to be a better way to handle the meetings.  Our pastor is the leader.  I write down everything he says on the calendars.  people do give input, but some negative things.  All leaders are supposed to be there, but aren't.  It is a lot of hard work for me to get ready for these meetings, and I come away feeling people don't know anymore than when they came.  Any ideas? Contemplating

Author Topic: How do some of you get prepared for leadership meetings(Read 4916 times)
llaux

Blessings: 78

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 07:35:19 PM »

We had our "calendar" meeting a couple of months ago.  I passed out the calendar for the next year with all the dates filled in that I knew about.  I have a document with recurring events (services, monthly meetings, etc.), one time things like Easter, lakeside service, pancake supper.  I fill in all those dates for the next year and use that to populate the calendar.  And I leave in things that don't necessarily make sense -- like a weekly service or monthly business meeting on Christmas Eve.

All of the ministry chairs were invited to the meeting.  Everyone sat around a big table.  We went through the calendar month by month.  Ours was a very positive meeting.  I got dates for several events that I hadn't known about.  Conflicts in schedules were resolved.  This is the second time we've done it like this and we have the next one scheduled for June.

Author Topic: How do some of you get prepared for leadership meetings(Read 4916 times)
Kay
Elite Member

Blessings: 182

Oh, hi!

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 07:55:54 PM »

When The Doc first came to our church (2005), he attempted to have yearly organizational meetings to plan the events for the coming year.  They had them for two years.  The second one was poorly attended because all of the "leaders" said that they didn't need it.

Contemplating

He gave up.

"I can lead a ZEBRA to the church publications, but I can't make him read." -- me

MaureenS
Elite Member

Blessings: 168

Me & my baby, Rosa

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 08:20:19 PM »

Our calendar meetings only involve the pastoral staff; all of the ministry leaders run their events past the pastor who oversees their area of ministry, then the pastor brings it to the calendar meeting. With it just being 5 of us (4 pastors and me), it goes quite smoothly. To prepare, I go through the previous year's calendar and note all of the major events. I bring that list with me to the meeting and ask if we're doing that event again, and if so, when. We start with district events put on by our denomination. Then we add all church events such as our prayer & fasting days. We then put in recurring events, such as weekly youth meetings and children's clubs. We then add in large group events such as family activities that the CP has planned, which involve the majority of our congregants, as most are families with young children. Then we add in events that affect a smaller number of people, such as youth events (outside of their regular Friday nights). I also ask the SP about any sermon series that he is planning, and any "same page focus" events, which is when he speaks on a series and then the small groups that meet during the week study the same topic in their small groups each week. I need to be alert for any conflicts in venues or even in having too many activities back-to-back. To prepare, I also email all of the pastors a couple of weeks in advance so they come prepared. They have also learned that if they miss something at that meeting, they may or may not get to add it later.
"When we're together, even the coldest day feels warm."

standfast

Blessings: 14

Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 07:21:58 PM »

Thank you all for the good tips.  I found a couple that I really want to try.  I think less people there would be a good start.  It really boils down on getting the main things on the calendar, so people will not continue to plan things on top of the same date.  Wish me luck. smile

Kay
Elite Member

Blessings: 182

Oh, hi!

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 07:26:41 PM »

Thank you all for the good tips.  I found a couple that I really want to try.  I think less people there would be a good start.  It really boils down on getting the main things on the calendar, so people will not continue to plan things on top of the same date.  Wish me luck. smile

That's a great goal to have.  Wish the folks here understood the concept!  I hope it works out well for you.

"I can lead a ZEBRA to the church publications, but I can't make him read." -- me
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: